"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
---Walter Elias Disney

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Remembering Camp Minnie Mickey

The first time we visited Animal Kingdom, we simply strolled through Camp Minnie Mickey on our way to Festival of the Lion King. It was, I understood, simply a meet and greet area and our son had no interest at the time in meeting or greeting any of the characters. They kind of freaked him out. This was more than ten years ago and before my love of Disney grew into a fascination with HOW and WHY they did things they way they do in the parks.

Before our second visit to the Animal Kingdom, I had discovered a friend who shared my love of Disney and kind of swamped my knowledge of the place. Jen really enjoyed Camp Minnie Mickey and had created artwork from the area to decorate her home. And I'd never even seen the things she used. I considered myself a Disney guy and here were things I'd completely missed, walked right past, ignored. This would not stand. So you better believe when we returned to Animal Kingdom in 2012, we explored Camp Minnie Mickey with new eyes, and we loved it.

Kinda self-explanatory :-)
Now Camp Minnie Mickey is no more, gone to make way for Avatarland. That's not terrible in the way Mr. Toad's Wild Ride being gone is terrible, but I thought it fitting (even if it IS totally copy-catting Jen) to post my own little photo-tribute.
I love this sign. Duck butts will never NOT be funny
Can you spot the real bird?
The fishing hole charmed me as much as it did my friend :-)

I just love Donald
There are those who believe I favor this guy. Lisa actually does have a photo of me doing just this one Easter not too long ago...
John loves Pluto :-)
I just found this massive stroller corral hilarious. No idea why.
It's all about the Meet-n-Greets
I just HAD to have a photo with Baloo and King Louie

No comments:

Post a Comment