"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
---Walter Elias Disney

Friday, July 29, 2016

92 Days: Superheros on Netflix

We "cut the cable" a couple months back and began a Netflix subscription as part of our replacement. The first show I found and "binged" on was Marvel's Daredevil. I wasn't a huge comic book guy growing up, but I did read my share and Daredevil was always one of my favorites. Also, I'm a huge fan of Marvel's movies and figured a TV show might be good as well. I was right.

Daredevil isn't quite the same as the Marvel movies. It's much darker and lacks much of the humor I enjoy in the films. But it is completely engaging and sucked me in from the first episode. The characters seem real and the whole thing is really easy to accept. There's not nearly as much suspension of disbelief needed as for the movies, which is kind of funny as it takes place in the same world, the same New York actually, that was damaged so severely in The Avengers. Everyone in Daredevil is just as freaked out by the appearance of superbeings in their city as we would be. We never see those "supers," but they are discussed a bit. It is a nice tie-in while keeping the TV Marvel its own little world as well.

I'm just starting the second season of Daredevil, then want to see Jessica Jones before Luke Cage comes out. Have you seen the trailer for Luke Cage, by the way? It's set to Wu-Tang Clan. 'Nuff said, I think :-) An Iron Fist series is also on the way. Then, in 2017, we get Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist together in a Defenders series. Very cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment