"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
---Walter Elias Disney

Sunday, August 7, 2016

83 Days: Drizzle Lagoon

I'm sitting here pretty darned relaxed and sleepy and relaxed and happy largely due to some time spent with the family in the little steel-frame pool in the back yard. I frankly lack the energy to investigate a new topic or even look for photos to share about an old one, so you get to hear about the pool.

We live at the beach, on an island, actually. Our yard is sand, and weeds which tend in the sand burr direction. I've long joked (but not really joking) about trying to cover the back yard with something to cut the amount of sand I need to mow. Mowing sand sucks. I thought having a pool would be great, even though we live a easy walk to the beach. I figured we'd get a good bit of use out of it, but it always seemed like a frivolous expense. But we've both been working especially hard lately and while we aren't rolling in dollars by any means, we've gotten to a place where one of those steel frame pools in Walmart wasn't gong to mean we didn't buy groceries that month. So I bought one.

Tikis are cool
The thing was easy enough to set up and the upkeep is actually kind of fun. It takes up the lion's share of the back yard so I'm not mowing sand, and we DO indeed get a lot of use out of it. We dip many afternoons and evenings and always find time on the weekend to float around. I bought a bunch of tiki torches to put around it because tiki torches are cool. At night, with the tiki torches burning and the tiki lights on the porch and the sun going down, it's really pretty cool out there.

We've named the pool Drizzle Lagoon. You know, not quite as big and impressive as a typhoon. Get it? We make up "attractions" from bobbing in circles to our version of the circus calliope song to tonight's invention of Jeff Hockey (I was the puck). I can plug in a cooler/ipod player I won from a competing beer company for atmosphere. We are, to be honest, pretty damned pleased with ourselves.

Tonight I floated around, no neighbors in residence, Lisa and John with me, homemade hard pineapple cider and ice cream faux Dole whip in hand, air temp of about 83 and water temp of about 88, sun setting, tikis blazing, Beach Boys playing.........I don't think it could get any better

No comments:

Post a Comment